Each of the company's procedures vary slightly ... but they will be expecting you soon after you arrive on Tortola
If you have arranged a sleep aboard
the night before your charter starts, you will likely arrive in the dark, after the charter base
has closed. Best to have a flashlight or hands free light with you. See notes at the bottom of this page, relating to sleep aboards
Upon Arrival at the charter base
- Visit the office to announce your arrival and introduce yourselves to the office staff.
- Do not go searching for "your" boat or board it without first checking in at the office. Strangers boarding yachts tend to be treated with great suspicion. After all, you are unknown to anyone at the base and they are looking out for the interests of the company as well as the individual yacht owners.
- Once all the pleasantries are out of the way, ask if you may make a quick visual inspection of the boat to be sure it is in acceptable condition.
- Once you have established that the boat is suitable, take care of all paperwork and outstanding balances owing.
- This is the best time to arrange your yacht systems and chart briefings.
- Once given the go ahead by the office staff, put your bags aboard and begin the settling in process.
- Check to find out when your provisions (if ordered) will arrive. If you ordered them through the provisioners directly and not through the charter company, call the provisioner as the base staff won't have a clue what you've arranged.
- Once you have completed your briefings, begin your pre-charter check list.
Have the charter company take care of any deficiencies (if any) found while you are still at the dock. Once you are out on the water, something such as a blocked head or a shower that doesn't drain can be very unpleasant. Of course, these are things the maintenance staff should catch prior to your charter, but human beings are fallible and can sometimes miss things.
After having tried every possible item of operation, you are set to cast off and enjoy a marvelous and worry free sailing vacation in the British Virgin Islands
Assuming you were smart and sent in your taxi order form that we provided when you first booked your charter, a taxi will have been arranged to pick you up at the airport or ferry terminal. Your taxi driver will have been briefed as to which yacht you will be aboard and where on the dock it is located. He will show you to the boat.
If sailing with BVI Yacht Charters, there will be a note on the office door as to your yacht's location.
You will find the boat has been left unlocked with the lights on and the key on the dinette or navigation table. Just make yourselves at home and proceed to the office a little after 8:30 in the morning. Give the staff a few minutes to settle in for the morning before introducing yourselves. Then go through the process noted above.