Packing for your Caribbean Yacht Charter Vacation
Planning your holiday is great fun and knowing what to pack for Caribbean travel is important. Space aboard the boat is limited, so please use restraint!
Travel lightly! Remember, you will be aboard a boat having fun in the sun! We recommend packing:
- Traveler's cheques. Some BVI establishments (including some yacht charter companies) do not accept credit cards. Be sure to bring traveler's cheques to get you through your vacation.
- T-shirts & Shorts.
- Light pants or skirts and tops for dining out.
- Bathing Suits.
- Sun Block (SPF 15-30)
- Beach Cover Ups. The Caribbean sun can be deceptive, don't get burned!
- Soft soled shoes for the top sides of the boat. Bare feet below decks please.
- If you plan to dine out at any of the better BVI restaurants, jacket and tie may be required for gentlemen. Ladies should dress accordingly. (No jeans please)
- Your favourite CD's or tapes. Check yacht equipment list.
- Camera. Buy film at home, it can be expensive in the Caribbean.
- Fishing gear if you are so inclined, but rods are available for rent.
- Burn remedies and soothers.
- Foul weather gear (if you are the pessimistic type). This *is* the Caribbean and you will be on a yacht!
- Beach Towels/blankets. Bath towels are supplied for use aboard the boat, large beach towels aren't.
- Seasickness remedies, if anyone in your party is prone to this ailment. (Soda crackers help)
- Soft sided luggage or duffel bags. Your yacht won't have "conventional" closets. Hard sided luggage often presents storage problems.
- Overnight Kit. (See below)
- Bug repellent.
The experienced traveler will pack everything in a soft sided carry on bag so there is no chance of being separated from your belongings. However, for those of you who just can't do without most of your worldly possessions, you should be aware that as part and parcel of Caribbean charm, the airlines sometimes "temporarily" misplace luggage. Don't worry, it eventually reaches the British Virgin Islands and your charter company will help get it to you.
*Pack an overnight kit with your essentials as carry on:
- Personal grooming products.
- Change of clothes.
- Bathing suit.
- Soft soled shoes.
- Airline tickets, cash, traveler's cheques, ID.
- Anything you can't do without for a day.
*When packing for your vacation, share luggage space! Put half your clothes in each others' bag. If the "Caribbean factor" kicks in, you will each have half your clothing ... provided only one bag is misplaced!
What Not To Bring:
- Anything other than prescription drugs are illegal in the BVI. Possession of ANY amount of drugs may land you in jail. Your charter boat and personal possessions may be impounded and a fine may be imposed.
Please don't bring drugs to the Caribbean!
Print out this list prior to packing for your vacation.
Need more information about what to pack for your vacation?
Call or write our BVI bareboat specialist!
Phone: (284) 495-4168 Tortola, British Virgin Islands