101 - Basic Keelboat Sailing & 103 - Coastal Cruising Certification
An advanced cruising standard for individuals with cruising experience. After completing the Bareboat Chartering Standard, the successful candidate can function as skipper and crew of a 30 to 50-foot yacht sailing by day in coastal waters. The bareboat chartering course includes knowledge of boat systems and maintenance procedures.
Curriculum - Theory
- Planning procedures for coastal cruising including; fuel tank capacity and range under power and spare engine parts required for a one-week sailing cruise, documentation and proper procedures required to cross international borders.
- Describe the sea breeze and land breeze effect and identify conditions which cause fog.
- Describe the use of a radar reflector.
- Outline what to do under various emergency conditions such as; the engine cooling water fails to flow, the engine fails in a crowded anchorage where safe sailing is impossible, the engine fails in a busy channel.
- Describe the procedure for tying a sailboat to a fixed dock in areas with large tidal variations.
- Describe the proper operating procedures for a marine head.
Curriculum - Practical
- Perform routine maintenance procedures on an engine.
- Maneuver a sailboat under power in a confined space.
- Stop the bow of the yacht within 4 feet of a fixed marker in various conditions while under power and pick up a mooring ball.
- Demonstrate basic procedures and use of VHF radio.
- Demonstrate proper procedures for towing a dinghy.
- Sailing a compass course with sails set while reaching and running.
- Plot a course, determine compass heading and ETA.
- Read a nautical chart and identify corresponding landmarks and aids to navigation.
- Take a fix from your sailing yacht using visual bearings.
- Pilot a sailboat into an unfamiliar harbour or anchorage by day using a nautical chart and tidal information.
When you arrive in the BVI, your instructor will take over from the get go to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Learning to sail is definitely one of the most fun and constructive things you can do during your vacation. Sit back, have fun and sail the magnificent British Virgin Islands
! ... You'll have a ball!
: ASA 114 - Catamaran Cruising